Once commonly regarded as a repository for online CVs and used for staying connected with past colleagues and other businesses. LinkedIn has truly become a power house as a leads generator. Outside New Zealand, LinkedIn has become a main stayer in leads generation and searching for the right potential customers. However in New Zealand, there is is still a lack of knowledge on how to achieve this.
Here are some key statistics about LinkedIn and the potential it holds for us Kiwis.It can be a challenge to find stats related solely to New Zealand and I've included those that I could find.
- 53% of working age New Zealanders (1.33 million) are on LinkedIn. This is close to 25% of New Zealand residents and comparing to US, which has only about 15% of their citizens on LinkedIn.
- Over 40%+ of all marketers have found a customer using LinkedIn. Eventhough we constantly hear how great Facebook, Twitter and blogs are for finding business; LinkedIn is still the best place to be for business leads. In fact, according to HubSpot, 43% of all marketers have found a customer via LinkedIn in 2013
- LinkedIn is 277% more effective for business to business lead generation than Facebook, Twitter or blogging.
- 1 out of every 3 professionals on the planet are on LinkedIn. This is equivalent to 347 million users worldwide.
- Most of these users are outside the United States(64%)
- Over 6 million are in Australia and 1.3 million are in New Zealand with 50% that will buy from fellow members
- 4 in 5 LinkedIn users want to enhance their decision making by connecting
- 65% of journalists have used information on LinkedIn as research material
- There are over 3 million Company Pages on LinkedIn
This table below shows the continued rise in sales generated through LinkedIn for B2B marketers.
In New Zealand, we are still in the early stages of using LinkedIn and it is full of opportunity for Kiwis to be an early starter in this before it becomes saturated. My word of advice is to learn how to use it NOW!
The Sophisticated Marketer's Guide to LinkedIn, SMK Social Media Trend, 2015, LinkedIn.com 2013, 2015 B2B Content Marketing Trends/ North America, Content Marketing Institute/ Marketing Profs, HubSpot, State of inbound Marketing 2010,2011,2012
The original article was first published in LinkedIn Pulse.
Read another LinkedIn article
FInd out more about LinkedIn workshops
Enjoyed this article and want more? Sign up now to our marketing snippets